“Take it easy, take it easy
Don’t let the sound of your own wheels
Drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
Don’t even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
And take it easy.”
~~ The Eagles
We are in the tail end of summer at this point. Here in South Carolina, next week is the last week of summer break for my kids…where has the summer gone??? I don’t know about you all, but it’s been a bit challenging to keep myself balanced throughout this summer. I’ve been better this summer than in years past, but it was definitely not easy!
You see, summer is the time of year when the fire element dominates. If we can maintain our balance during this season, we can embody the inherent warmth of the season. But if we can’t, we open ourselves up to imbalances related to burnout. If you notice you are excessively angry or intense, excess sweating, digestive upsets, hives…these are just some of the signs that you’ve got an imbalance going on.
So if you notice an imbalance, what can you do? Well, for starters, RELAX! Seriously. Sit down, close your eyes, and take a deep breath. Make that several deep breaths.
Easier said than done, I know. It’s going to be tough for me the next two weeks, for sure. But my physical and emotional health depend on it, so I am working on my action plan now for how I am going to deal with the next few weeks. Here’s my plan:
- I’m going to continue finding positives around me every single day. What started as a 7-day challenge has now turned into a 21-day challenge. I am on day 16, so I am thinking that to get through the next couple of weeks, I need to extend some more. How about 30 days? Yeah. That sounds about right.
- Walking has proven to be very therapeutic for me. Since I can’t run or cycle right now, due to my failing adrenal system, walking has lifted me out of my depression. Running and cycling outside were my ways of helping me de-stress and get outside more. Since stopping, I’ve been very depressed, because it’s how I connected “live” with people, as I was always running or biking with a group. Well, I’ve been walking lately, and I love it, because it’s gotten me back outside. But I was still mostly walking by myself, and I was missing the connection with other people. So I’m now committed to meeting my good friend, Pam, on Tuesday and Thursday mornings before the sun comes up…this was the first week for us, and I have to say, it was just what I needed…I was SO much happier yesterday after she and I walked! I also agreed to be a pace leader for a walking group that is part of a larger running group I used to run with at the YMCA. I am super excited about getting the opportunity to lead a group, AND to get to know new people. WINNING!
- Get to bed on time! I’m normally a person who is in bed by 9:00 p.m., but this summer, I’ve been staying up until around 10:00 or 10:30 p.m. But I am still getting up at my normal time of somewhere between 4:45 and 5:15 a.m. So I have definitely not been getting enough sleep and I can feel it…physically and mentally. I’ve been feeling run down since last week, and as of yesterday, I’ve been running a fever. OK, God! I get it…I need to go to bed earlier! This week I’ve been good so far…I was in bed by 8:00 p.m. on Monday, and by 9:00 p.m. last night. I need to keep it up.
- Exercise. Even when I am busy, I can surely squeeze in at least 15 minutes. And every little bit helps. Yoga and strength training are what I am focusing on right now.
- Meditate. I’ve been slack on this lately and I can feel how much I need it back. So tonight, before I hit the sack, I will make sure to get in at least 5 minutes, preferably 15. My goal is to commit to 30 minutes per day, but I may have to split that into two 15-minute sessions. Something is better than nothing, right?
That’s my list. I think 5 things is reasonable and achievable. I don’t want to make my action plan stressful, after all, do I? It’s like in the quote above…”Take it easy…don’t let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy…lighten up while you still can…”
What about you? Are you finding that you’re having trouble right now with keeping things relaxed and chillaxed? If so, what are YOUR plans to get things back in balance? Share with me! I am always on the lookout for new ways of approaching things…I bet others are as well.